Visa ett inlägg
Gammal 2020-06-30, 20:00
Kalimeras avatar
Kalimera Kalimera är inte uppkopplad
Admin

Reg.datum: nov 2004
Standard Sv: Coronaviruset (Covid-19) i Grekland

I morgon är det så att säga en stor dag för Grekland i och med att de internationella flygplatserna, hamnarna och landgränserna öppnar igen. Alla länder är inte välkomna, bland annat Sverige som får vänta i två veckor till, men det kan också komma att ändras, det mesta känns just nu mycket oklart.

Personligen börjar bli mer och mer orolig för hur det ska gå när alltfler reser in i landet. Jag förstår inte hur det ska fungera med de där online-frågeformulär som ska fyllas senast 48 timmar innan avresa, de som ska avgöra om de ska testas för coronavirus eller inte vid ankomst till Grekland. Vad hjälper det undrar jag? Det är ju bara att ljuga när man fyller i formuläret, eller uppge en falsk adress. Finns säkert några som gör det. Jag vet, jag spekulerar, men ändå.

Jag har så många frågor men inga svar. Ekonomin är ju den drivande kraften förstås, annars skulle Grekland inte öppna upp så fort. Alldeles för fort om ni frågar mig. Grekland har få rapporterade fall av smittade och döda, och om de siffrorna stämmer (vilket jag inte tror) så är det inte så smart att öppna redan, för antalet kommer garanterat öka, både inhemska fall och så kallade ”importerade” fall.

Men vad händer med Grekland om de inte öppnar för turister? Svält? Kaos? De är en fruktansvärt svår balansgång. Här kan man verkligen prata om pest eller kolera, fast sjukdomen heter något annat denna gång.

Jag lider med Grekland och grekerna, och alla mina kära vänner i detta land som jag älskar så mycket.

Som jag skrivit fler gånger tidigare i år: Det enda vi med säkerhet vet är att vi ingenting vet.

Jag skulle kunna skriva mycket mer, men detta får räcka för tillfället.

Så här skriver Helena Smith, The Guardians korre i Grekland, idag.

There is mounting concern over the rising number of “imported” coronavirus cases ahead of the Mediterranean country opening to holidaymakers tomorrow.

For a nation so reliant on tourism the fact that its archipelago of islands has remained so Covid-free has been crucial to projecting an image of safety and security. But since Greece reopened its main airports in Athens and Thessaloniki on 15 June, the number of confirmed coronavirus cases has crept up.

Tellingly, almost a third of the 110 new infections logged by authorities over the last week were travellers from abroad. Six of those reported were on Syros, Ios and Paros – all popular islands. On Monday, three of the 15 new cases registered by health officials had arrived from overseas.

This morning, media on Zakynthos reported that seven people had now contracted the virus – the latest described as a man admitted to the local hospital on Sunday with a high fever after recently returning from Germany.

Most tourists who have thus far been detected with the virus are asymptomatic, adding to the concerns of epidemiologists. “The big problem is that the virus is transmitted via individuals who are asymptomatic or have few symptoms,” said professor Nikolaos Sypsas, a member of the scientific committee that advises the government. “The problem of dispersal via asymptomatic people remains a very big risk.”

The country’s civil protection ministry says health officials with the armed forces will be dispatched to islands to conduct tests on arriving passengers over the next three months.

Prime minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis says the nation should brace for “a very difficult tourist period” ahead of international flights resuming to all destinations tomorrow.

Hosting a virtual cabinet meeting earlier the centre right leader warned the tourist-dependent country was likely to face “huge difficulties” as it grapples with the economic fallout of the pandemic. “We are aware that the bar is set very low and that this will be a very difficult tourist period but we will do the best we can,” he told ministers.

As Greece’s heavy industry, tourism accounts for over 25 percent of GDP according to the Greek Tourism Confederation (SETE). Last year it brought in more than 18.1 billion euros in earnings – revenue that played a pivotal role in reviving the country’s debt-stricken economy – employing close to a million people.

This year tourism officials say they will be lucky if revenues hit the 4-5 billion euro mark not least because the UK, US, Russia and Sweden are among the countries that generate almost a quarter of that income and as a result of their ‘epidemiological profiles’ have yet to be given the green light to resume flights to the popular holiday destination.

Slut på citat. Finns ingen länk, texten kommer från The Guardians liverapportering.
Svara med citat