handdator

Visa fullständig version : Prices in cafeterias and bars allover Greece

Kratylos
2008-04-20, 11:59
As all of us have experienced the last 7 years (after the introduction of euro) there was a takeoff of the prices of products and services in almost every sector.
A special case for Greece is the case of the prices in cafeterias and bars.
Since Greece has a special "cafe culture" (at least compared to most of west european countries) the high prices are always a topic for discussion between greek people but also between visitors and tourists.
You all know that for the vast majority of greeks (especially the younger) to go out means spending some time (usually more then 1 hour in some cases it can be 2-3 hours) in a cafeteria (during the day and the evening) or going out for a drink in a bar/club/bouzoukia for the night (after 12).
I let out of the discussion here the mezedopoleia/restaurants/rebetadika since its another case, perhaps in another thread.

Anyway althought most of us always critisize the owners of the cafes/bars and the deficient regulation of prices from the state services, we finally end up drinking our frappe in those places so in a way accepting as a fact the situation and showing zero consumer consience.

In this thread i would like to hear your opinion and possible ways of reaction to this rip off! It would be nice also to provide updated info about prices in cafes/bars in various places of Greece.

Here is a small list of the prices in Patras.
---------------------------------------

1) Frappe/Nescafe/fredo/capuccino/chocolate

In Agiou Nikolaoy street (the most "in" place in the centre of the city) the prices have allready reached 4 euro.
In Marina (beside the sea) and Rio prices vary between 3 - 4 euro.
The cheapest you can find in Plateia Olgas and in 2-3 other cafes( kazarma,gerokostopoulou) where the prices are between 2,3-3 euro.
In plateia olgas (the cheapest place in the city) there are 2-3 cafeterias that charge frappe for 2 euro and greek coffee 1 euro.
Still its a nice place and many students prefer it. The atmosphere is nice and relaxed but not trendy! :)
Fredo and capuccinos cost in the "trendy" places more then 3,5 euro and they can reach 4,5 euro!

2) Fresh juices

Unfortunatelly the prices are exploding. So for a fresh orange juice you pay 4 euro in most of the "trendy" cafeterias in the city or Rio.
You are lucky if you find a place where the juice is charged 3 euro.
The funny(!) thing is that the prices are the same during winter and summer, that means that there are huge surplus profits during winter when the orange prices in Greece are rediculusly low.

3)Juices from tetrapak boxes

Prices very from 2,5 to 3,5 euro, but usually the price is 3 euro.

4) Greek coffee (Ellinikos) and espresso

The greek coffee remains the cheapest option , you find it for 2 euro in almost all cafes (diplos ellinikos though costs the same as a frappe).
Thinking that they prepare it NOT in a briki but with a machine (bad quality) the price of 2 euro is extremely high.
Espresso (single) also costs 2 euro in agiou nikolaou.

A toast (cheese + ham) in most cafeterias costs 2 euro.

I continue the price list in next post, but it would be nice to hear prices from other places especially islands.

Kratylos
2008-04-20, 23:38
Anyone? What happened dear coforumers? Well i understand that most of you are bored to write in english but anyway.
Or perhaps some of you dont care about the prices (reach people) or you find them reasonable/low.
But it would be nice to hear your opinion too.

Monica P
2008-05-18, 14:01
No! Very expensive! Come o Kalymnos, here you can have a coffee for 1.80-2 Euro.

Kratylos
2008-05-24, 17:21
Monica thats impressive! frappe 2 euro in an island?

Anyway an update for the price of cold chocolate (popular during summer).
The price is 4 euro (for a big glass of cold chocolate). This is the price for Rio, Marina, and Agiou Nikolaou Str.
The same for the cafeterias in Nafplio (at least those beside the sea).

Tom
2008-05-24, 21:22
I can`t understad why coffie is so expensive in Greece ?__D

I come back just after 4 days in Toscana Italy !

I paid 0.90-1,50 for á expresso or capucchini .klapp_klap

/ Tom

Frappe
2008-05-25, 19:28
Fredochino in Glyfada € 5,60. Frappe in Kiffissa € 4,50, Toast from €4

Camilla

monica
2008-05-25, 19:46
Jamen, goddag frun, kan börja med att säga att det blir Palataki Villas 3 och 4 juni, vilket kanonställe. Precis vad jag hade i tanken. :)

Nu till ämnet,

Glyfada och Kiffissa är ju några av de dyraste ställena runt Aten, t o m i mitten av Aten på en väldigt snofsig cafeteria där vi svenska morsor fikar varje lördag kostar en Cappuchino 3,90, idag köpte jag en frappe för 1,50 i Daskaliou i och för sig utanför Aten, men vilken god frappe.

För övrigt hade yiayia i cafeterian ramlat och slagit upp armen så den blödde, och jag kom som en räddande ängel med stora plåster och antiseptisk servett till undsättning. Dagens goda gärning :D

Alltid redo, med en hel uppsättning i handväskan med diverse bra att ha saker.

Monica

Kratylos
2008-05-28, 16:03
Fredochino in Glyfada € 5,60. Frappe in Kiffissa € 4,50, Toast from €4

Camilla

Hehe thats a nice deal... (really crazy prices!!!:eek: )
We deserve that...

I can`t understad why coffie is so expensive in Greece ?__D

I come back just after 4 days in Toscana Italy !

I paid 0.90-1,50 for á expresso or capucchini .klapp_klap

/ Tom

Hello Tom, welcome to greek reality :)
The story with the overpriced cafe in greece its allready some years old.
Anyway since you mentioned Italy, with the exception of few touristic places there is no similar "coffee culture" like in Greece. That means that most people there drink an espresso for 5 minutes and then go...
Here you can stay in a cafe for hours...
Also there is no big variety of coffees like here, (especially cold coffees).
This is not an excuse anyway for the extremely high prices, but just to point the differences.
Thanks for the information anyway...

@Monica, ok we talk about the normal cafeteria that you find in a nice place, i have also examples of cafenia in small villages with only old men where you find a cheap frappe but thats not the case.
3,90 is a normal (!) price in our days for a coffee in Athens.

JohnS
2008-06-15, 23:33
Jeg er nettopp kommet hjem fra Kalymnos. På strandbaren i Pothia kostet en frappe 1,50, en elliniko sketo 1€, en diplo 1,50. Til gjengjeld måtte man tåle at man nesten bare hadde grekere som selskap, ingen svensker, ingen engelskmenn, og bare et enkelt norsk og et nederlandsk par....... flabb_flab

Kratylos
2008-07-20, 15:18
ok its not a ordinary cafeteria but i am almost sure it has the cheapest prices for coffees and drinks in the whole region :)
frappe 0.5 euro , greek coffe 0.40 .toast 0.5 euro !!!

http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/6984/cheapestplacewhenopenha7.jpg

its the small cafe of electrical engineering department at the university of patras..
Well it would be a nice dream to see such prices in other places too lol

malou
2008-07-20, 19:50
Jeg er nettopp kommet hjem fra Kalymnos. På strandbaren i Pothia kostet en frappe 1,50, en elliniko sketo 1€, en diplo 1,50. Til gjengjeld måtte man tåle at man nesten bare hadde grekere som selskap, ingen svensker, ingen engelskmenn, og bare et enkelt norsk og et nederlandsk par....... flabb_flab

Hurra for Kalymnos! Og for atskillig mer enn prisene klapp_klap, de er dog svært behagelige sammenlignet med nivået her hjemme i Norge. I hvert fall i Dodokanesene. Er man på et typisk turiststed, eller i storby, betaler man jo gjerne litt mer. Det er vel nokså likt i de fleste land.